How to Be a Good Republican
Former TX governor  Ann Richards
- You have to believe that the nation's current 8-year prosperity was due to the work of Ronald Reagan and George Bush, but yesterday's gasoline prices
are all Clinton's fault.
- You have to believe that those privileged from birth achieve success all on their own.
- You have
to be against all government programs, but you expect Social Security
checks on time.
- You have to believe that AIDS victims deserve their disease, but smokers with lung cancer and overweight individuals
with heart disease don't deserve theirs.
- You have to appreciate
the power rush that comes with sporting a gun.
- You have to believe ... everything Rush Limbaugh says.
- You believe that the agricultural, restaurant, housing and hotel industries can survive without immigrant labor.
- You believe God hates homosexuality, and loves the death penalty.
- You believe growing up black in America doesn't diminish your opportunities, but you still won't vote for Alan Keyes.
- You believe that pollution is OK as long as it makes a profit.
- You believe in prayer in schools, as long as you don't pray to Allah or Buddha.
- You believe Newt Gingrich and Henry Hyde were faithful husbands.
- You believe speaking a few Spanish phrases makes you instantly popular in the barrio.
You believe that only your own teenagers are still virgins.
You're against government interference in business, until your oil company, corporation or S & L is about to go broke, then you beg for a government bail out.
- You believe Jesus shares your hatred for AIDS victims, homosexuals, and President Clinton.
- You believe government has nothing to do with providing police protection, national defense and building roads.
- You believe a poor, minority student with a disciplinary history and failing grades will be admitted into an elite private school with a $1,000 voucher.
- You have to believe that government should stay out of people's lives, except to regulate opposite-gender marriages, what your official language should be, and what form of birth control, if any, you should use.
- You have to believe that a woman cannot be trusted with decisions about her own body, but that large multinational corporations should have no regulation or interference whatsoever.
- You have to believe that society is colorblind and growing up black in America doesn't diminish your opportunities, but you still won't vote for Alan Keyes.
- You have to believe that it was wise to allow Ken Starr to spend $50 million dollars to attack Clinton because no other U.S. presidents have ever been unfaithful to their wives.
- You have to believe that a waiting period for purchasing a handgun is bad because quick access to a new firearm is an important concern for all Americans.
- You have to believe it is wise to keep condoms out of schools, because we all know if teenagers don't have condoms they won'thave sex.
- You have to believe that the ACLU is bad because they defend the Constitution, while the NRA is good because they defend the Constitution.
- You have to believe that socialism hasn't worked anywhere, and that Europe doesn't exist.
- You have to believe the AIDS virus is not important enough to deserve federal funding proportionate to the resulting death rate and that the public doesn't need to be educated about it, because if we just ignore it, it will go away.
- You have to believe that biology teachers are corrupting the morals of 6th graders if they teach them the basics of human sexuality,but the Bible, which is full of sex and violence, is good reading.
- You have to believe that Chinese communist missiles have killed more Americans than handguns, alcohol and tobacco.
- You have to believe that even though governments have supported the arts for 5000 years and that most of the great works of Renaissance art were paid for by governments, our government should shun any such support. After
all, the rich can afford to buy their own and the poor don't need any.
- You have to believe that the lumber from the last one percent of old growth U.S. forests is well worth the destruction of those forests and the extinction of the several species of plants and animals therein.
- You have to believe that we should forgive and pray for Newt Gingrich, Henry Hyde and Bob Livingston for their marital infidelities, but that that bastard Clinton should be impeached.