Dick Cheney's Voting Record
During his eleven years in Congress, Dick Cheney may have appealed to moderates and worked with liberals, but his record was strictly conservative.
"No question, Dick Cheney is a bona fide conservative. He bills himself as such, but not an ideologue," said Thomas Mann of the Brookings Institution.Cheney believes the government's role in social issues should be limited.
- He opposed federal funding for abortions -- with no exceptions in the case of rape or incest.
- He voted against the Equal Rights Amendment for women, along with 146 other members of Congress in 1983.
- On Education, he consistently opposed funding of Head Start and voted against creating the Department of Education.
- Cheney was raised in Wyoming and opposes, as many Westerners do, gun control limits.
- He was one of just 21 members of Congress, in December of 1985, to vote against a ban on armor piercing bullets -- called cop killer bullets.
- Three years later he was one of only four members of the House voting against a ban on plastic guns that could slip through airport security machines undetected. The National Rifle Association did not oppose this ban.
- Also in 1988, Cheney voted to scrap a proposed national seven-day waiting period on handgun purchases.
- On the environment, Cheney opposed refunding the Clean Water Act. He voted to postpone sanctions slapped on air polluters that failed to meet pollution standards.
- And he voted against legislation to require oil, chemical and other industries from making public records of emissions known to cause cancer, birth defects and other chronic diseases.
- Dick Cheney consistently voted to raise military spending. He also supported aid to the Nicaraguan rebels, even after a moratorium on funding was passed.
- During his 11 years in Congress, Cheney was moderate only in his personal style, getting along with Democrats and Republicans.
- As for his votes, Cheney consistently received very high marks from conservative groups ranking his record.
- Cheney voted as a fiscal conservative too, supporting legislation to balance the national budget.
"Wyoming is a very conservative state," said former House Minority Leader Bob Michel, a Republican from Illinois. "He was simply voting the convictions of the people back home."
Meet the Carlyle Group
- Does it mean "Backward Chase" ticket ?
Going back to Bush Sr.'syears ?
Has Daddy's Boy Bush Jr. shown "Leadership Qualities" in selecting his Veep?
Bush Sr.'s fingerprints are all over this selection.
BC ticket - The Millennium to which this ticket will take this country.
Has GWB shown "compassion" in his selection ?
I think not.
Compassionate Conservative?  Leader?  Reformer?  - NOT NOT NOT.
Daddy Picks a Babysitter for Little Shrub - Rack